“Talk About Friends” November 14, 2018
1:00 – 3:30 pm
An Open-Sharing Discussion about Friends of the Library
|1:00 p.m.||Welcome and Introductions
Charles Hanson, FOML Board + Director of Library Services, Kettering University
Eric Magness-Eubank, Library Director, Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
|1:15 p.m.||Principles and Practices of Successful Friends Groups
Roger Mendel, Director, Northland Library Cooperative
|1:30 p.m.||United For Libraries: A New Resource for Michigan Libraries
Clare Membiela, Library Law Consultant, Library of Michigan
|1:45 p.m.||Round Table Discussions
1. What are some of your Friends most successful fundraising projects?
2. What types of gift requests have your Friends given to the library?
3. What problems are you facing in your Friends organization and operations?
4. How do you engage volunteers to help with Friends’ projects?
5. How do you recruit new Friends members?
6. How do you recognize and maintain long-serving members of the Friends?
7. Is your Friends group doing new creative fundraisers (beyond Book Sales)?
8. What steps have your Friends taken to maintain good working relationships with the director, library staff, trustees, and other Friends groups?
|2:35 p.m.||Change Tables/Partners Continue Discussions|
|3:10 p.m.||Question-and-Answer Time|
|3:30 p.m.||Adjournment & Evaluation|
This afternoon Friends session is a no-cost discussion meeting to talk about Friends and their role in promoting the growth and development of library services. Light refreshments will be available throughout the session courtesy of the Superiorland Library Cooperative, Pam Christensen Executive Director.
Registration is now closed for the Talk About Friends meeting.
Click here to download a list of hotels in the Alpena area.